Typical problems in English faced by Odias

Post here all news items and burning topics on Orissa for review by our members.

NK Mishra
Disciple
Disciple

Post by NK Mishra »

I know it's bad. But we should know the problem in order to fix it.

English Pronounciation:
We Odias, usually, have a lot of mothertongue-influence while speaking anything in English. Usually we replace Odia words with their English translations and speak as if we are speaking Odia.

Names and Spellings:
Anyone who sees a name "Bimal","Bibek","Bikas"... etc immediately knows it's someone from Odisha (sometimes from Bengal). We are never careful where to use "V" and also about the different type of "Sh" in English. We pronounce "Shave" as "Save". No wonder there was confusion about what the new name of Orissa should be... Sha, sa, ssa

Well, we have names like "Pravat" and not "Prabhat". It's funny how outsiders pronounce the name... "prawat"

I would invite more inputs and discussions here so that we can learn from out mistakes. Happy Utkal Divas to all .

Sponsor

Sponsor

kuhu
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Re: Typical problems in English faced by Odias

Post by kuhu »

Hi,

I liked this post. In fact I wanted to start posting on this same issue. We odiyas outside our State face so many problems while pronouncing English words.

In odiya We dont distingusih between 'bh' and 'v', 's' and 'sh' while speaking odiya or english in our State. But all over India, except Odisha and Bengal, people speak words distinguishing 'bh' and 'v' and 's' and 'sh'.

My kind request to all odiyas to make their child learn the proper pronunciation of english alphabets while spaeking english.